Hi! I am confused but like to be here

Merrie

I think I might be on the aromantic spectrum, but I still can't work my way around it. Like, all my life I have loved romance, the fiction of it. But the little "experience" I have in romance, has been... Akward. 

Like part of me doesn't get how I can be reading and be like "KISS KISS KISS""THEY ARE SO CUTE TOGETHER" "They deserve each other!" but in real life feeling like a relationship is suffocating me. 

As a kid I was like "why have a boyfriend now? As kid I can't do the stuff I see on TV, we can't go to real dates!" And I had crushes before. But now as an "adult" I don't get it! What does real people do between those "romantic moments"? Idk, for me romance is like a super duper friendship, or at least it should be? And I can't even bare the thought of getting in a relationship with someone I wasn't friends previously, is weird as hell, ans I don't get why people do that. 

Idk, I'm just here to try and figure out stuff, I like this community, at least the concept of how romance isn't really that important as media make it look like, I learned it here, so yeah, whoever read this hope you have a nice day.

• Like 5

I'm not the most avid fan of romance media, but a good story is a good story. I've sobbed to plenty of cute romance stories. But in real life? With me? Absolutely not, no thank you. Brains are funny like that.

I hope you have a nice day too and I'm looking forward to seeing you around!

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to the forum :) 

12 hours ago, Merrie said:

Like, all my life I have loved romance, the fiction of it. But the little "experience" I have in romance, has been... Akward.

I’m the same way! Love seeing a compelling romance in fiction, but irl it seems tedious at best and downright suffocating at worse. 

Because in fiction, it’s more simplified and idealized than real life. Very pleasant, but unrealistic. It’s a fantasy, no wonder all those fictional media have mainstream appeal to temporarily escape real life.

Think of all the violence in media, it’s thrilling, but the average person wouldn’t want to live out action characters’ physically demanding daily lives.

Fictional romance, like fictional violence, they typically only show a caricature of it, only the interesting parts are fleshed out and the difficult parts are dumbed down.

On 10/16/2024 at 10:35 PM, Merrie said:

Like, all my life I have loved romance, the fiction of it. But the little "experience" I have in romance, has been... Akward. 

Idk, for me romance is like a super duper friendship, or at least it should be? And I can't even bare the thought of getting in a relationship with someone I wasn't friends previously, is weird as hell, ans I don't get why people do that. 

I feel the same way as you!