What is oriented aro ace?

allhailtheglowcloud

think of it as an aroace, or someone on the aroace spectrum, who has an orientation

for example, an aroace person who is also pan

or, like me, a demisexual and aromantic who is omisexual !

• Like 3

On 10/10/2024 at 6:20 PM, allhailtheglowcloud said:

So I've heard this term used fairly often, but I still don't have a great understanding of it. I have a few questions.

1. What actually is an oriented aro ace?

2. To any oriented aro aces, how did you realise? 

Thank you in advance for any responses.

As far as I know, and oriented aroace is an aroace who has a 'tertiary' orientation that they think is significant enough for them to want to express as part of their 'main' label.

On 10/10/2024 at 9:29 PM, Zozz said:

or, like me, a demisexual and aromantic who is omisexual !

Well now I'm confused cuz your profile says cupioromantic, omniromantic.

6 hours ago, P4R4D0X said:

Well now I'm confused cuz your profile says cupioromantic, omniromantic.

you dont need to know the specifics of my orientaion dude. i dont give a fuck if youre confused about my labels. these past few days ie been getting stuff straight so theres gonna be some differences in what i say about myself but that does not concern you

+ this website is about aromanticism, so im only going to put my romantic-related attractions on my profile

and i case you dont know, cupioromanticism is literally aromantic but wantig a rmantic relationship. so my description isnt wrong or anything because i literally am aromantic. not like that concerns you though.

Edited by Zozz

On 10/11/2024 at 12:20 AM, allhailtheglowcloud said:

So I've heard this term used fairly often, but I still don't have a great understanding of it. I have a few questions.

1. What actually is an oriented aro ace?

The easy, “logical” explanations:

1. Aroace could be used as the combined umbrella term, like that you fall under the aromantic spectrum and asexual spectrum. Like an akoisexual akoiromantic. And these folks can feel oriented attraction.
  2. It could refer to a tertiary attraction, which may be oriented. An asexual aromantic heteroalterous person could describe themselves as hetero aroace. (just as @P4R4D0X already explained above).

But ultimately, it's also a question of how much we can tolerate paradoxical orientations.

So if aroace is understood as green-stripe (aka fully) aromantic, black-stripe ace with no tertiary attraction, we imagine that as a total zero.

And we all know that -0 = +0. A signed (oriented) zero makes no sense! Right? So there can't be such an aroace who is oriented, right?

Well, in standard mathematics, yes, a signed zero is simply zero. But, e.g., the IEEE 754 floating-point standard (presently used by most computers) has signed zeros. In fact, it has a -0, +0 and a neutral 0, which is useful for some applications.

Therefore, what if some nerdy aroace reads about the IEEE 754 and thinks: “Well, that describes my orientation perfectly! It's like a signed zero, I'm oriented aroace!” … who are we to say no? 🙃 Ok, it would still be difficult to understand for me, but our inner life and lived experience are often challenging to describe.

• Like 3