I have a massive crush on my best friend, but she believes she is AroAce and I want to respect that

Guest CuriousCrushes

Question

Guest CuriousCrushes

So me and this girl have been friends for a year, and best friends for a few months now. She is amazing, we hangout all the time, and I really enjoy her presence, even if we both just sitting and doing nothing in the same room. We have normalized physical contact in our friend ship(cuddling and hand holding etc, no sexual stuff, not do I want there to be I don't care for sexual stuff.) we have even talked about moving out together when we are older and have a bunch of big dreams for the future. But right at the beginning of us being best friends a conversation led to her admitting that she thinks she is AroAce. Which is great, I want to respect that if that is who she is. But I can't deny I feel the most feelings for her out of anyone ever. Granted I don't have a lot of experience dating. But like I'm almost crying right now thinking that this can't ever happen. And I want to know how to eventually approach this with her, or how to get my brain to except that we may just be friends forever(which is great friends are great but in the moment of my huge crush it's harder yk?) Or maybe we could be in a QPR idk. But I'm just really scared to bring it up cause I don't want to ruin the friendship. How would any aroaces like to be approached about this stuff by someone interested in them? How has it worked out? Have any of you dated and ended up in a long term relationship or even maybe marriage? Idk, any insights are appreciated

1 answer to this question

Honestly, when people have crushes on ace/aros, I think we’d prefer it if you’d just tell us what’s going on. We all deeply care about our friends and eventually we can tell when something up with you. To answer your question, yes, ace/aros people can date if they choose. They can be in long term relationships and even get married. But it depends on the person. Some of us don’t want a relationship while others are open to it. I’m not sure how long your friend has identified with being ace/aro but you try asking her how she feels about romantic relationships and if she’s ever wondered being in one herself. But this is the exact conversation you should have with your friend. I can’t exactly predict the future for you, but you should just be honest and see where it leads. You could try asking her how she feels about romance and the possibility of being in a relationship and then maybe expand on that. However, some aromantics could be romance repulsed, talking about romance/confessing to her could make her extremely uncomfortable and maybe end the relationship. Really be careful with your wording since we don’t want that to happen.

Edited by tiger_hoods12