I feel like a fraud.

Guest Acestarx

Question

Guest Acestarx

I'm aspec and arospec and i'm dating someone. And I know that aroace people can date and all that, but at the same time I see other aroace people celebrating being uninterested in having relationships and being happy they don't have to carry that burden, and as much as I'm so happy for them, I feel like a fraud. Like the fact I'm on the asexual spectrum and on the aromantic spectrum but in love with someone makes me not real, that I'm not a valid aroace person. And I don't know if I'm being insensitive or a crybaby, but I just need someone to tell me I'm valid. Please. 

5 answers to this question

unfortunately there are gatekeepers in this world who will try to tell you that you’re fake since you don’t play be their rules, but i have known several aroace and aspec people who have been in relationships and felt love and they are still just as valid as you, me, or anyone else in this community or using one of these labels. never let other people or more importantly you stop you from being yourself, especially if it’s only for the benefit of others.

• Like 2

As long as you identify with some aro or acespec identity, you can be aroace

Just because you feel romantic attraction in certain scenarios, doesn't mean that you aren't on the aro spectrum, as you are valid no matter your personal experiences

• Like 2

as someone who has been in the community for a while, i can tell you that aros dating people is remarkably common actually. it doesn't make anybody more or less aro to date or to remain single

• Like 1