Has this happened to anyone?

Guest User53

Question

Guest User53

I don’t have anyone I feel comfortable with telling them this so I’ll post it here.

For some background, I am a middle class, highly educated, privileged student. I have lots of friends and a financially secure future. There’s literally nothing to be worried about. 

However, recently, about a week ago, I had an oddly overwhelming wave of depression or something. I started to feel strong feelings of apathy and just general dissatisfaction. I have had a history of persistent anxiety (although not diagnosed since going to a psychologist is stigmatised in my family) for like 3 years, but it’s gotten better since the start of this year (I focused more on my physical health and go to gym). My sister however has gone through major adverse life events and got diagnosed with depression and my mother has a history of depression when she was my age. 

Do you think somehow I ‘activated’ a gene for depression recently? Nothing big has happened to me yet.

2 answers to this question

Guest Anonymous

depression can be genetic, and sometimes it doesnt show until later in life, or you’ve disregarded signs earlier. signs of anxiety and depression can collide, as well as with other disorders and neurodivergence. its also possible that if you’re thinking about potentially having it, maybe due to a family member getting diagnosed or reading something about the topic, you could notice signs that maybe you hid or tried to ignore. you said that, in your house, going to a psychologist is stigmatized, so its likely you’ve masked anything to avoid conflict about it, or ignored signs early on. im not a professional in this field, this is just things i’ve found while reading about it and trying to figure out my own set of issues. hope this helped, and if you’re in the position to (i.e, living out of the house, over 18, or can even just drive and have a reliable source of income) i’d recommend going to a psychologist and ask about it, or if you’re not, maybe you could do more research about it. 

On 8/11/2024 at 8:44 AM, Guest User53 said:

I don’t have anyone I feel comfortable with telling them this so I’ll post it here.

For some background, I am a middle class, highly educated, privileged student. I have lots of friends and a financially secure future. There’s literally nothing to be worried about. 

However, recently, about a week ago, I had an oddly overwhelming wave of depression or something. I started to feel strong feelings of apathy and just general dissatisfaction. I have had a history of persistent anxiety (although not diagnosed since going to a psychologist is stigmatised in my family) for like 3 years, but it’s gotten better since the start of this year (I focused more on my physical health and go to gym). My sister however has gone through major adverse life events and got diagnosed with depression and my mother has a history of depression when she was my age. 

Do you think somehow I ‘activated’ a gene for depression recently? Nothing big has happened to me yet.

it's possible it could be genetic, or just current hormones.  maybe try bringing it up to your school nurse or primary care physician?  hopefully it's only temporary, and if not, manageable <3 you can talk to me anytime you need or want (:

/gen