A little help please?

I should start by saying that I grew up in a family of missionaries surrounded by a community of missionaries, so even considering being anything but alloromantic and straight felt almost illegal until now (I’m 19 btw). This also means that I may say something uneducated or straight up offensive and if I do I apologize in advance.

That being said I do strongly believe I’m aro but not ase, but I couldn’t tell which type of aro I was just by reading about them, which is where I need a little help. At first I thought quoiromantic/nebularomantic, because I’ve really only ever thought of relationships as “I like spending time with x person” or “I don’t like spending time with x person” without ever really knowing or being able to figure out whether it was romantic, or platonic and there may be a orientation that fits this sentiment better, but that’s just the one I was drawn to.

However, after reading other peoples stories and seeing how they labeled themselves I questioned if there was another orientation that fit better. One that caught my eye this time was cupioromantic, because I found myself relating to someone’s story of fantasizing about a romantic relationship despite not knowing what it feels like or even thinking it possible. The problem I have though is  figuring out whether it’s me fantasizing, or if it’s a form of FOMO due to the over-saturation of romance in media.

I will probably remember to check in occasionally to answer any questions, but thank you in advance and it’s nice to know I’m not the only one who feels this way. Also shoutout to JaidenAnimations and her video for making me realize that something other than romantic was even an option.

• Like 1

The type of aro you are is the type you want to communicate to others. “Aromantic” on its own can mean different things to different people, and labels are meant to be useful. If calling yourself xyz helps you to get across something to others that you would like them to know, then go for it, but there’s no need to spend a lot of time agonizing over which microlabels you fit a set of requirements for. Do what feels right to you. 

• Like 1