What is something that can be anything?

ASailorStub

Okay hear me out… the title is a bit grandiose and this story is going to sound very funny, but if you think about it you may just be interested… or you are going to think my story is stupid… one or the other

In a world where all things are utensils, forks, spoons, knives, so on so forth. There is a multi tool. The utensils come up to the multi tool and, intrigued as to the strange utensil infront of them, they ask “are you a fork?” The multi tool responds, “yes… no” the utensils are confused. How can they be both are and not, yes and no? They ask another question, “are you a spoon?” The multi tool again responds “yes… no” afterall, is it not a spoon? It can certainly be one… it has that function, however is it not so much more? Then the best answer is “yes… no”, both relegated to being a spoon and yet much greater. The utensils though believe they have figured it out… both a spoon and a fork and yet neither… a spork! Yes surely the weird thing was a spork! So they ask again, “are you a spork?” Though the utensils were to be disappointed as the multitool answered again with “yes… no”. A frenzy was sent up in the crowd of utensils, and the multi tool could barely hear what was said over the din. Eventually the crowd calmed down and a single decision had been reached “it must be more than just a fork, a spoon, or any other utensils! Some kind of… of… multitool!” Yet though just as the idea spread a single spoon stepped out of the crowd with another. An idea that stopped the crowd in its tracks “is it not just a collective of us? A spork both a fork and spoon but unique, but this thing you can see is a fork, a spoon, a knife, and scissors. Not unique save for the way they are tied together. It is nothing at all, it is not new. It is a group of us, a collective. What is a group more than an idea? You can call it a multi tool when in reality it may be more accurate to call it… nothing.” 

What do you think? Which idea is right? Is either? Now don’t give me smarty pants crap like “it’s a multi tool duh.”, you know what I am asking… as long as you have some brains up there.