Aromantic?

Guest Holala

Question

Guest Holala

Hi!

I am 23 years old and I have never had any serious relationship. I liked a guy when I was 14,5 years old, but it only lasted for 2,5 months. After him, I have NOT even been in love with anyone. Does that mean that I am aromantic? I WANT TO fall in love, but I never do. It doesn’t matter how attractive the man is, I just don’t get feelings and only see him as a friend and nothing more than that. I have felt really good as a single woman for several years and haven’t felt the need to be in a relationship. I have really enjoyed spending time with my friends and family instead.

My mom thinks that there’s something wrong about me just because I can’t get feelings for anyone and she says that the majority of the people in my age have been in love and in relationships or are right now. I feel so sad because she talks with me like that because it’s very personal when it comes to my private life and I CAN’T help that I DON’T get feelings for anyone, but I really want to experience being in love. But it never happens. My mom even made me using the app Tinder, even though I didn’t care so much about it myself. I didn’t take it seriously, I used it for fun. I didn’t dare to meet them, but once I dared and he didn’t lead up to my expectations and I didn’t feel ANYTHING AT ALL for him and only saw him as a friend, which made me cry in my room by night. I was so disappointed. I feel like I have given up finding love for several years now. I don’t even care about being in a relationship. I don’t think I believe in love cause I never fall in love. I am pretty sure I will NEVER fall in love. 

Am I aromantic? 

1 answer to this question

Sounds like you are. 

I'm sorry to hear your mum doesn't seem to accept your lack of romance as a part of your identity. You don't owe anyone to fall in love with anyone, and it doesn't make you any lesser. Sending positive wishes and friendly hugs to you if you don't mind them.🫂 And hope that this forum helps you sort out your questions and feel better about yourself! 

• Like 1