Do you believe in soulmates?

I know the concept of soulmates is seen in a Romantic key by the society,but I strongly believe two persons can be soulmates even though they're friends. You know, that kind of lifelong friendship where they can understand each other without even speaking, where they're always there for each other no matter what, where they can be 100% themselves no filters and no lies. Yeah, that deep connection that you won't find anywhere else, no matter how many partners you'll change.

This is being soulmates for me. I'm not saying romantic people can't find it in a relationship, just that's not the only option.

What do you think? Do you agree with soulmates outside romanticism? 

Maybe soulmates aren't necessarily as romantic way but in a family or object way. Like you feel a really strong attachment to a toy or something that means deeply for you or you see a family member really close enough that ""you feel full"".

• Like 1

Yes, but it takes good capability, good commitment, and monogamous inclinations to do so. So, soulmates for life are very few.

If I wasn't leaning into aromantic, and if I didn't have eternal fatigue, I can see myself with some one and remain monogamous.

Edited by R_1
  • Like 1

No, I don't believe people are meant for each other, or that someone or something intends them for each other. People can connect to each other, but I don't believe that connection can only occur between people who are made to be soulmates. Connections develop because people put the work in, not because they found the correct person they were made to find. I also don't like how the concept of soulmates is exlusively framed in pairs, one to one. Everyone is a full person, they don't need an adjunct to make them whole. People who connect to more than one person aren't doing life or "souls" wrong.

• Like 7

Depends on what do you mean by soulmates. Some people do "click well" together because of who they are, such as being similar in some important aspects and possibly complementary in something other, but everything is variable. One person in different situations can bond with different kinds of people and it may work equally well, for different reasons maybe, even if they have a very particular "type" they need in a partner (for example, they have a need for an imaginative person with a sense of humour) there are many people of this type in existence, so it depends on which of them they meet and come to know. Some people feel a special connection to a group of people or several people who are very different, (and each of them is bringing a different important thing into this person's inner world in that case). Also depending of the stage of one's life their inner needs may change and so do feelings about what kind of people they may need in their life. And, well, of course people often misinterpret infatuation at first sight as a "sign they are meant to be together", which isn't so, there are so many ways a first impression can be wrong. As well as the opposite happens, that people who were indifferent to each other at first can form powerful connection based on getting to know each other better and, yes, putting work in it like the comment above says. 

I don’t believe in them at all. Are there people you’ll click with better than others? Sure. But if it wasn’t them, it would have been someone else. It may still be someone else a few years down the line.

Edit: my thoughts on it are more or less what The Good Place has: soulmates may not be real, but the connections we make are, and are far more valuable and important than some random assignment (end edit)

I don’t even like them in fiction, as no matter how they are done, there’s always someone who will be left out (platonic soulmates still exclude loveless people for example). And I’ve rarely seen a story that addresses that while accepting they can still be happy.

Edited by Neon
  • Like 9

I feel like the idea of soul mates brings up the fate/free will debate. As someone who believes in free will (to an extent), I don't think that people were 'meant' to meet each other. So I would say that no, I don't believe in soul mates.

• Like 2

I really like the original concept : it was the idea that souls reincarnate, and that when they find other souls they befriended in previous lives, it clicks cause they already know each other.

That being said, I don't believe it's real. I think it can feel this way, but that if it was not this person, it would have been someone else.

• Like 1