Finding an ace friendly physician

Raininspring

Question

I haven't gone in for a physical health checkup in at least 3 years, partially because I fell off from it due to the pandemic but after the pandemic I got very busy with my job. My physical was usually very general and never required me to take off my clothes and I'd also go in for a annual blood test to test various bodily metrics. I have never had a gynecological exam and do not wish to mainly because I have never been sexually active and strongly believe the chances I will ever be sexually active are very slim, and I'd prefer to have a physician who won't push me to have one. 

Does anyone have resources for where I could find an inclusive physician like this, perhaps an ace friendly one? 

2 answers to this question

I don't have resources for you, but I have advice. One, when picking a doctor, schedule an "interview" with them, where you can talk through their beliefs and if they can provide what you are looking for. Two, don't write off gynecological exams because you haven't and won't have sex. You don't need to have sex for something to go wrong with your reproductive system that needs to be caught and addressed.

• Like 2

I agree, talk to your doctor about it before you decide on them for an appt! I live in a pretty accepting place, so a few years ago at a doctors appt my doctor basically asked me what my sexuality was (she was gentle about it and said i didn't have to tell her but i'm terrible at lying so I kinda had to tell her). She didn't know what aroace meant, but was very understanding when I explained it to her. In following years when I've had appts with this doctor, she's said I don't have to do the tests where they test for sexually transmitted diseases because I'm ace...which is nice, considering I'm not sexually active and never plan to be, but also a little frustrating that she didn't really realize that a lack of sexual attraction doesn't equal a lack of sexual desire, and that ace people still do sometimes have sex. And I'm kinda shy around my doctor so i just never told her, but...I'd suggest explaining what your identity means, in relation to you, in full detail before you actually have an appt, so they understand how to support you fully during your checkups!!