Aromantic and feeling 'not queer enough'

Guest Ichor

Question

Guest Ichor

Does anyone else get the feeling of being 'not the right type of queer/not enough' when in LGBTQ+ spaces? It has certainly been bugging me for a while. Maybe it's due to lack of representation, people just being dismissive or maybe my own experiences with identity. I know the feeling is drivel but it looms over me, my mind wants to say "being aro is not lgbtq enough!" Interestingly, this feeling only applies to myself. It may be because I am aro-allo and attracted to the opposite gender of my agab, combined with a complicated relationship with my own gender. How about ya'll? I'm sure I can't be the only one feeling this way. Is there any way to combat this? It's a tiring thing to experience.

3 answers to this question

I dont feel exactly this way, but one thing that could contribute to this feeling is that aromantic people are not prosecuted very much while other LGBTQ groups have much more resistance to their identities (like trans people for example)

I feel the same. Our struggles as aromantic people are not totally the same as other queer people. The thing is for many queer people, part of their liberation and freedom of being themselves has a lot to do with being sexually free and being able to be sexually attracted to and have sex with whoever they want, while for aromantics it's seen as an invisible identity because it's an identity that isn't as visibly present or apparent and to explain what aromantic is can be daunting due to the fact very often romantic and sexually attraction are lumped together as one and the same when they are not.

I sometimes feel that way, but I make an effort to go to in person queer spaces (especially those that explicitly include aromantic people) and it always kills that feeling.