teen corner

S-Hawk

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kira- said:

by definition soup is a cooked liquid food containing certain ingredients such as vegetables, meat, fish, etc. while cereal combined with milk does result in a liquid food containing objects, at the end of the day cereal is more like a snack, so in my opinion cereal in milk is not a soup

Vegetables are defined by the Oxford English dictionary as a plant or a part of a plant used as food, which grains technically fall under, therefore it technically contains vegetables.

Additionally, some people heat their milk before putting it in cereal, which would arguably be cooking it, so I would say that yes, cereal with milk can be a soup. Also, regardless of whether or not the person warms their milk, often the milk is pasteurised before sale which involves heating the milk to high temperatures (ie. cooking it) 

If the person is literally just taking the milk straight out of the cow, cereals often contain grains. These grains are often cooked in order to achieve the desired cereal consistency. 

This means that cereals indeed contain a cooked component, therefore the fact that they are soups stands.

Also, I will find a way to debate ANYTHING. Especially when it comes to soup :)

Edited by allhailtheglowcloud
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, P4R4D0X said:

New QOTD:

We've already decided that mashed potatoes are a soup, but is cereal in milk a soup?

Hmmmmm... 

Well you can get cold soups (sounds weird to me but I'm sure people like them or they wouldn't sell), so I would say yes? 

Dictionary.com says that the objects in soup are boiled, but that could apply to shredded cereals because the wheat is boiled. Also people make raw soups which def aren't boiled so cereal should technically be allowed to count as a soup if they do. 

Anddd we eat it the same way we would eat soup, many soups are cream/ dairy based and some soups do contain grains. 

So I would say yes it is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, allhailtheglowcloud said:

Vegetables are defined by the Oxford English dictionary as a plant or a part of a plant used as food, which grains technically fall under, therefore it technically contains vegetables.

Additionally, some people heat their milk before putting it in cereal, which would arguably be cooking it, so I would say that yes, cereal with milk can be a soup. Also, regardless of whether or not the person warms their milk, often the milk is pasteurised before sale which involves heating the milk to high temperatures (ie. cooking it) 

If the person is literally just taking the milk straight out of the cow, cereals often contain grains. These grains are often cooked in order to achieve the desired cereal consistency. 

This means that cereals indeed contain a cooked component, therefore the fact that they are soups stands.

Also, I will find a way to debate ANYTHING. Especially when it comes to soup :)

looking at it that way yes it could be considered soup, but another way i view it is like tomatoes. are tomatoes a fruit? yes. would you put tomatoes in a fruit salad or smoothie? probably not. so with cereal you can look at it in the same way: can it technically be considered soup? yes. would cereal belong in a soup isle or soup restaurant or something of the like? probably not. there’s a certain point where the logic of something has to take place over the definition and technicalities.

long story short: technically cereal is considered a soup, but logically it is not.

• Thanks 1

Cereal is typically a breakfast soup, therefore it would logically go in the aisle specifically for breakfast things. This is because the concepts of "breakfast", "lunch" and "dinner"seem to have set social expectations surrounding them. While it is acceptable for certain things to be eaten for breakfast (eg. cereal), often eating the same food for lunch is perceived as strange or at least unusual. This is reflected by cafés often only serving the 'breakfast' menu until "lunch time". This is why cereal gets put in the breakfast aisle rather than the soup aisle, as the rest of the supermarket is often dedicated to typically lunch/dinner foods.

As many restaurants usually only open later in the day, they are unlikely to be serving typically breakfast foods. This means that in a soup restaurant, they would be unlikely to be serving cereal in a similar way to how other restaurants would be unlikely to serve waffles or eggs in the afternoon. 

TL;DR:

Cereal is logically a soup, society's expectations surrounding meals falsely invalidate cereal etc

*Note: I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat certain things at certain times. I think pizza for breakfast or cereal for dinner is very valid. I'm just saying that society tends to draw a strong line between breakfast and everything else.

Sorry if this was hard to follow and/or completely incoherent, I am very tired lol

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, allhailtheglowcloud said:

*Note: I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat certain things at certain times. I think pizza for breakfast or cereal for dinner is very valid. I'm just saying that society tends to draw a strong line between breakfast and everything else.

agreed, i don’t rly care abt when society finds it acceptable to eat certain foods. part of that expectation probably stems from the fact that it takes longer to make most “dinner foods” as opposed to a “breakfast foods” which a more commonly easy to make. same thing with “lunch foods” such as sandwiches usually tending to be more transferable due to most ppl working or in school needing a meal they can easily transport and will stay good (note: fast food most likely falls under the “lunch foods” category, though if you are eating fast food in the first place it can fall during any time of day.

Spoiler

“WHY ARE YOU BUYING CEREAL IN THE SOUP STORE!?”

41 minutes ago, allhailtheglowcloud said:

Cereal is typically a breakfast soup, therefore it would logically go in the aisle specifically for breakfast things. This is because the concepts of "breakfast", "lunch" and "dinner"seem to have set social expectations surrounding them. While it is acceptable for certain things to be eaten for breakfast (eg. cereal), often eating the same food for lunch is perceived as strange or at least unusual. This is reflected by cafés often only serving the 'breakfast' menu until "lunch time". This is why cereal gets put in the breakfast aisle rather than the soup aisle, as the rest of the supermarket is often dedicated to typically lunch/dinner foods.

As many restaurants usually only open later in the day, they are unlikely to be serving typically breakfast foods. This means that in a soup restaurant, they would be unlikely to be serving cereal in a similar way to how other restaurants would be unlikely to serve waffles or eggs in the afternoon. 

TL;DR:

Cereal is logically a soup, society's expectations surrounding meals falsely invalidate cereal etc

back on topic, i still stand on what i said where i believe that cereal can be technically considered soup but logically it is not, i think that maybe it should get its own special place instead of trying to find the perfect label for it. i agree with the sentiment that society tends to view “breakfast foods” differently than other foods, which again is most likely due to the fact that in most situations when a lot a ppl want to get breakfast, they tend to go for something quicker and easier because they’ve just woken up and just want something to eat. this can also be bad though because as the first meal of the day, breakfast acts as sort of the fuel and can make or break the day depending on the person (most days i usually don’t eat breakfast btw).

this got a bit off topic but i feel it’s important to note

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, P4R4D0X said:

New QOTD:

We've already decided that mashed potatoes are a soup, but is cereal in milk a soup?

Yes. Definitely. Why would it not be?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kira- said:

agreed, i don’t rly care abt when society finds it acceptable to eat certain foods. part of that expectation probably stems from the fact that it takes longer to make most “dinner foods” as opposed to a “breakfast foods” which a more commonly easy to make. same thing with “lunch foods” such as sandwiches usually tending to be more transferable due to most ppl working or in school needing a meal they can easily transport and will stay good (note: fast food most likely falls under the “lunch foods” category, though if you are eating fast food in the first place it can fall during any time of day.

Reveal hidden contents

“WHY ARE YOU BUYING CEREAL IN THE SOUP STORE!?”

back on topic, i still stand on what i said where i believe that cereal can be technically considered soup but logically it is not, i think that maybe it should get its own special place instead of trying to find the perfect label for it. i agree with the sentiment that society tends to view “breakfast foods” differently than other foods, which again is most likely due to the fact that in most situations when a lot a ppl want to get breakfast, they tend to go for something quicker and easier because they’ve just woken up and just want something to eat. this can also be bad though because as the first meal of the day, breakfast acts as sort of the fuel and can make or break the day depending on the person (most days i usually don’t eat breakfast btw).

this got a bit off topic but i feel it’s important to note

Fair enough tbh. Also, please try to eat breakfast more often, don't forget to look after yourself :)

Edited by allhailtheglowcloud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kira- said:

(most days i usually don’t eat breakfast btw).

Same.

13 hours ago, allhailtheglowcloud said:

Also, please try to eat breakfast more often, don't forget to look after yourself :)

What if it's not my choice that I can't eat breakfast?

New QOTD!

If there was one random item that you would like to have a collection of, what would it be? (Based off of my one teacher who collects ketchup)

46 minutes ago, P4R4D0X said:

New QOTD!

If there was one random item that you would like to have a collection of, what would it be? (Based off of my one teacher who collects ketchup)

there's lots of more practical stuff i like to collect like movies, books, and records (though i only have one record as of right now mcr: the black parade is dead!). in terms of some random item though, gfuel cans.

2 hours ago, P4R4D0X said:

Same.

New QOTD!

Monster energy cans.

Beinf a teen is confusing.

10 hours ago, P4R4D0X said:

Same.

New QOTD!

They collect ketchup🤣 Okay answer now…  I would like to have a collection offfff… well I could have swords, would be cool and I would be set for the zombie apocalypse but I really kinda want like a collection of pretty dresses. I don’t get to feel pretty being AMAB and closeted. I also kinda want a collection of gold bars… then I could sell that to get a collection of the other two… yes that is the best option. I would like a collection of gold bars.

4 hours ago, ASailorStub said:

but I really kinda want like a collection of pretty dresses. I don’t get to feel pretty being AMAB and closeted. 

We feel you. I was AFAB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I already collect random things lmao. I have a sticker collection, a rubber duck collection, and a pin collection! Any ideas on other random things I can collect?

(Also I know this is not part of the convo, but I’m a lonely aro bitch looking for friends, so look me up on discord pls.  elijah0826. I’m the one whose pfp is a blue haired anime girl)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ElijahTheTeen said:

I already collect random things lmao. I have a sticker collection, a rubber duck collection, and a pin collection! Any ideas on other random things I can collect?

Cacti are very nice. Can recommend 10/10

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, allhailtheglowcloud said:

Cacti are very nice. Can recommend 10/10

I have a cacti collection!! (and special edition/old coins, animal pin badges, buttons, shells, fossils, bottle tops, crystals, old keys, marbles, lego cards...) 

Yeah I'm basically a magpie

Or perhaps a niffler 😁

Edited by Wombat
  • Like 3

Y’all will likely see this tomorrow but… QOTD! If you could control space (usage of this power include but are not limited to: teleportation/portals, adjusting the size of anything, and creating black holes) what would you do with it? Just help transport stuff, daily conveniences and such, or something more along the lines of world domination?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ASailorStub said:

Y’all will likely see this tomorrow but… QOTD! If you could control space (usage of this power include but are not limited to: teleportation/portals, adjusting the size of anything, and creating black holes) what would you do with it? Just help transport stuff, daily conveniences and such, or something more along the lines of world domination?

Daily convenience for others (helping others) and myself. And a little bit of mischief. 

And definitely word domination. /J

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASailorStub said:

i probably wouldn’t use them too often and i wouldn’t let anyone know about it. unsure as to what i would actually use them for

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would literally teleport everywhere because I’m lazy as shit👏
Also, world domination, obviously 

6 hours ago, Wombat said:

I have a cacti collection!! (and special edition/old coins, animal pin badges, buttons, shells, fossils, bottle tops, crystals, old keys...) 

Or perhaps a niffler 😁

Old key collection sounds really cool, ngl. How many keys do u have? Also, nifflers are my fucking favorite HP animal ever!!!🥳

Edited by ElijahTheTeen
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Wombat said:

I have a cacti collection!! (and special edition/old coins, animal pin badges, buttons, shells, fossils, bottle tops, crystals, old keys...) 

Or perhaps a niffler 😁

HP reference we see u

• Like 1

Technically a day has passed.

QOTD:

If you could bring any fictional character or creature to life, what would it be? And why?

48 minutes ago, P4R4D0X said:

QOTD:

If you could bring any fictional character or creature to life, what would it be? And why?

kaburamaru from kny. he would be a cool companion if he wanted to stay with me

Spoiler

IMG_0861.webp.17f5cf2854e4245ef4deafa2b296e8a4.webp

4 hours ago, P4R4D0X said:

Technically a day has passed.

QOTD:

NIFFLERSSSS

Wouldn't it be great??

Also dragons would be really cool too and we could ride on them as well!

• Like 1