Would you get married?

I'd consider it maybe if I do come across a life partner (romantic or not), but probably not. It's a lot of paperwork, money, time, energy, and most people I know who are married are very unhappy but feel they can't get a divorce. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2024 at 12:54 AM, batbath said:

It's a lot of paperwork

see, this is the best answer here. 

paperwork my nemesis, love is fine i guess if that interests you but for crying out loud who thought adding bureaucracy was a good idea.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I really doubt it. I’m greyromantic and I have only ever had one crush in my entire life. So thinking about marriage is at the bottom of my agenda. The idea of marriage doesn’t sound that appealing to me, and I don’t really see it as romantic. Especially with divorce rates skyrocketing nowadays, does it even seem worth it? As a child of divorce myself, not only do I doubt it would happen for me, but I kind of don’t want it considering how bad it can be. I picture marriage as more as shackles around your wrist than I do it just being commitment. If I ever were to get married though, I would have to be REALLY ATTRACTED to the guy. Or maybe possibly having it be some type of QPR where we both agreed to do it for the company or societal/financial benefits.

Edited by tiger_hoods12

Thought I responded to this a while ago, but seems not. I was married, then I got divorced, then I learned I was aromantic. Would I get married again? Eh, sure? I dont really see the need, but im not against it. I think my opinions on it can be summed up with "meh."

• 3 weeks later...

Never.

If they can afford and commit to organizing a large expensive party and also paperwork and mental loads of living together with one (or more) other people, good for them, but it’s not for me.

I don’t even like living with my parents and sibling, let alone imagine living with a friend or stranger long-term, and imagine if there’s one or more infants, just nope.

Living just for the one person who matters the most, the self, is much more of a dream. More simplicity if only one person is in the household. I don’t mean I don’t care for family or friends, I just mean I can care less for them. Doesn’t mean I hate them or anything like that! If everyone just let everyone be themselves (provided they aren’t actual sociopaths or other dangerous people), everyone wins! Let committed couples marry, or not even marry and live together if they wish to do so, but also let singles be singles if that’s their choice, without some creep wanting to force marriage or other forced things (key word FORCED) upon them. Single doesn’t automatically mean “single and seeking, it can also mean “single and happy with it, please don’t couple me up”.

no. i don’t see any point in marriage because all it adds is expectations that i wouldn’t fulfill. plus the only reasons i would get married outside of tax benefits could be fulfilled by just having a roommate. plus the fact that a marriage is inherently seen as a sexual and romantic relationship, so there really is no upside to it that i can see from my point of view. 

i will most likely end up living by myself with an between 1 and 4 cats, and maybe a roommate to help fulfill the responsibilities of a residence, talk philosophically, and play video games.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i would get married !! yeah!!

On 9/4/2024 at 9:54 AM, kira- said:

no. i don’t see any point in marriage because all it adds is expectations that i wouldn’t fulfill. plus the only reasons i would get married outside of tax benefits could be fulfilled by just having a roommate. plus the fact that a marriage is inherently seen as a sexual and romantic relationship, so there really is no upside to it that i can see from my point of view. 

i will most likely end up living by myself with an between 1 and 4 cats, and maybe a roommate to help fulfill the responsibilities of a residence, talk philosophically, and play video games.

this is why i think the concept of PACS in france is really cool. its not marriage but it gives some benefits that marriage has

10 hours ago, Zozz said:

this is why i think the concept of PACS in france is really cool. its not marriage but it gives some benefits that marriage has

just looked this up a little bit, honestly they should have something similar to this everywhere. the thing with marriage is that despite all the reasons i don’t want to get married, as i said above it’s still inherently viewed as a romantic and sexual relationship, wether any of that is actually going on or not, and from the sounds of this it removes that aspect and lots of commitments and perceptions i wouldn’t want. i would honestly consider an this option if it was available for me.

• Like 2